Saturday, October 31, 2009

The ants will win

The CEO of our company declares at the annual meeting that his priorities are (in order of importance): God, Family, Company.
I think he means it.

He is not ashamed of his open hostility.

I envy his narrow-mindedness.

At home,in my shower, a single ant crosses the vast white wall.
He stops for a moment to check his compass.
He must be looking for food for the collective.
I wish I could tell him that there isn't any here in my immense bathroom.
It is a journey of many days through the desert of my living room to get back to the colony.
I wonder if he will make it considering that his knapsack with provisions can not hold much.
Either way, he will miss the daily meeting.

Deep beneath my house, where thousands of frantic legs trample on toes and heads, the queen starts the meeting.
The ants already know her speech by heart, but they all stop their work, face her, and listen with razor-sharp concentration.

The speech consists of that one terrifying word, spoken with utter conviction, over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment